Walk Features: This loop walk takes you from the Shops through the streets, parkland and along the shore of Lake Burley Griffin. You will pass a number of embassies. A part of the walk is on a dirt track.
Duration of the walk: About 1 hour and 40 minutes.
Region: South Canberra.
Information about the Suburb: Yarralumla was established in 1922. In 1828 Henry Donnison, a Sydney merchant, was granted a lease on the western side of Stirling Ridge. Donnison’s land was named Yarralumla in a survey of the area conducted in 1834, apparently after the indigenous people’s term for the area. It was also spelt Yarrolumla in other documents. Its streets are named after Australian governors and botanists.
To get to the start of the walk proceed down Novar St and park at the Shops on the corner of Bentham and Novar Sts.
Note that streets in brackets means there is no street sign at this point of the walk.
- From the corner of Bentham and Novar Sts, go L down Novar St.
- Cross over Hooker St and Schlick St.
- Pass both entrances to Turner Pl and Bailey Pl on your L.
- Just before the t-junction with (Alexandrina Dr), go R over to a bitumen path.
- Follow the path crossing Alexandrina Dr where it is met by Hopetoun Cct.
- Go R on the bitumen path.
- Keep on the bitumen path all the way, passing Yarralumla Bay until you come to Mariner Pl at the Yacht Club.
- Leave the bitumen path and walk along (Alexandrina Dr) a short distance until you come to a dirt track on your R.
- Go R on a dirt track past a gate and up through bushland.
- Cross over Forster Cr and proceed up Darwin Av.
- Go L onto Perth Av.
- Go R into Moonah Pl and then pass Moonah Pl on your L.
- Go L onto Turrana St passing Arkana St on your R.
- Pass Wonna St on your R.
- Go L onto Empire Cct.
- Go R onto Schlich St.
- Go L onto Irwin St and pass Weld St on your R.
- Cross over Hampton Cct and pass a reserve on your L.
- Go R onto Hampton Cct and pass Macdonnell St on your R.
- Cross over Hopetoun Cct.
- Proceed into Weston St and pass MacGilvray St on your R.
- Go L onto Guilfoyle St and pass Deane St, Cambage St, Francis St and Gunn St all on your R.
- Go R on a bitumen path into parkland with a storm water drain on your R.
- Cross over Weston St and continue straight ahead.
- Cross over the top of (Ewart St).
- Cross over Loftus St.
- Pass a playground on your L.
- Go L at tennis courts across a grassy area.
- Go L onto Mueller St.
- Go R onto Bentham St and back to the Shops.