Walk Features: This loop walk takes you from the O’Connor Shops through the streets, playgrounds and parks including Haig Park. It also proceeds alongside Sullivans Creek. Some of the walk is along dirt tracks.
Duration of the walk: About 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Region: North Canberra.
Information about the Suburb: Turner was established in 1928 and named after Sir George Turner, a Federalist, legislator and one of the founders of the Australian Constitution. He was a Premier of Victoria, and later Federal Treasurer under prime ministers Barton, Deakin and Reid. Its streets are named mostly named after writers, legislators and pioneers.
To get to the start of the walk proceed up Northbourne Av go L into Macarthur Av then L into David St, R Macpherson St, R Sargood St and park at O’Connor Shops.
Note that streets in brackets means there is no street sign at this point of the walk.
- Proceed out on Sargood St to David St passing a toilet block on your R.
- Cross over David St and go L.
- Cross over a storm water drain on an iron railing bridge.
- Go R on a bitumen path and proceed alongside the storm water drain on your R and a playing field on your L.
- Cross over Condamine St and continue straight ahead on a bitumen path.
- Go L alongside Greenway St under trees within Haig Park.
- Continue straight ahead to the end of the park passing two sets of picnic tables on your R.
- Go R on a concrete path alongside (Northbourne Av).
- Go R at Masson St and proceed through the park underneath trees. On the way pass Moore St on your L, cross over a concrete path, pass picnic tables on your R, pass Macleay St on your L, cross over a concrete path, pass Turner Scout Hall and pass Watson St on your L.
- Turn L on a bitumen path.
- Cross over (Masson St) and continue straight ahead on a bitumen path passing Gould St, (McKay Lane) and (McKay Gdns) twice on your L as the path runs alongside Watson St on your L.
- Go R at (Barry Dr) to cross over (Sullivan’s Ck) and pass (North Oval) on your R.
- Go R at McCaughey St and continue straight ahead on a bitumen path with North Oval on your R.
- Pass a bus stop.
- Cross over Wasson St then go L to cross over McCaughey St onto a dirt track into (Haig Park).
- Pass seats.
- Go L at Hackett Gardens.
- Then go L at Hackett Gardens to pass a playground on your R.
- Pass (Hackett Gardens) road on your R and continue straight ahead.
- Go R on a concrete path and proceed alongside (Bolderwood St on your L.
- Cross over Frogatt St on your L.
- Pass a bus shelter.
- Turn R into Ridley St.
- Go R onto Knibbs St.
- Go R at Frogatt St.
- Go L onto Masson St with (Haig Park) on your L.
- At Hackett Gardens on your R, go L on a dirt track.
- Cross over a bridge.
- Veer R on a dirt track passing a seat on your R.
- Pass tennis practice walls on your R.
- Go R along Condamine St, passing Stawell St on your L and tennis courts and a playground on your R.
- Go L at McCaughey St and past a bus stop.
- Go R onto David St.
- Turn L into (Sargood St) and back to the Shops.