Walk Features: This loop walk takes you from the Shops through the streets, playgrounds and reserves. It also progresses along a fire trail.
Duration of the walk: About 1 hour and 25 minutes.
Region: Woden Valley.
Information about the Suburb: Torrens was established in 1966 and named after Sir Robert Torrens, a former Premier of South Australia and instigator of the Torrens title system of land registration. Its streets are named after South Australian pioneers.
Click here for a pdf version of the walk directions.
To get to the start of the walk proceed south down Melrose Dr. Turn R into Athlon Drive. Turn R into Beasley St. Follow it all the way round to Batchelor St. Go L then R up Torrens Pl to the Shops.
Note that streets in brackets means there is no street sign at this point of the walk.
- Facing away from the Shops with your back to them, go L down (Torrens Pl).
- Go L into Batchelor St.
- Cross Beasley St into the park.
- Proceed uphill on the concrete path as it goes past a playground on your L and a seat on your R.
- Continue all the way uphill.
- Go L into (Hawker St) then R up a bitumen road through a gate onto a dirt track.
- At the Summit Trails sign go R and follow the fire trail along past a gate on your L.
- At the next Summit Trails sign go R down a narrow dirt track and past a large boulder into a grassy reserve and continue straight ahead on a concrete path all the way downhill with houses on your R.
- Cross over (Beasley St) and veer L to a concrete path proceeding downhill between houses.
- Cross over (Kavel St) and continue straight ahead on a concrete path.
- Go L at (Jefferis St).
- Just around the corner past number 21, go L uphill on a concrete path.
- Cross over (Kavel St) and continue straight ahead.
- Go R onto (Beasley St) past a bus stop and seat.
- Pass Parkin St on your R and Pethebridge St on your L.
- Just before a bus shelter go R on a concrete path.
- Shortly after the concrete path runs into (Duncan St) and just after number 28 go R on another concrete path. Note the Urban Street Garden.
- Cross over (Parkin St) and continue straight ahead on the concrete path.
- Go L at (Jefferis St).
- Go L onto Horrocks St passing Howard St on your R.
- Opposite Parkin St go R through a low wooden fence onto a playing field.
- Turn L and proceed clockwise around the perimeter of the playing field passing a playground, then a red gate and a toilet block all on your L.
- Continue on the playing field alongside (Batchelor St) on your L.
- Pass Tinline Pl on your L.
- Proceed off the playing field and go L onto Ritchie St passing Torrens Primary School on your R and (Cawker Pl, Burford Pl and Salter Pl) all on your L.
- Go R at Beasley St.
- Go L at Gouger St and pass McCann St, Stevenson St and Brookman St all on your R.
- Just past number 33 go L on a concrete path and follow it along and around to the R and onto a bitumen path uphill.
- Go R on a concrete path between houses through to (Gouger St).
- Proceed straight ahead up (Gouger St).
- Just past number 64 go R down a concrete path.
- Proceed straight ahead alongside (Brookman St) on your R.
- At number 28 and as the road goes around to the R, go L on a concrete path between houses.
- Go R and straight ahead onto (Darke St).
- Go L at Basedow St passing Parsons St and Hawker St both on your R, Darke St and Goode St both on your L and Cain Pl on your R.
- Go R onto (Gouger St).
- Turn R into Hawker St.
- Go L into Coles Pl.
- Proceed out from its end on a concrete path and cross over the reserve.
- Proceed into (Perkins Pl).
- Go R into Hubbe St.
- Cross over Howchin Pl and proceed downhill on a concrete path.
- Go R onto Beasley St.
- Turn L into Batchelor St.
- Go R into Torrens Pl and back to the Shops.