Walk Features: This loop walk takes you from the Shops through the streets, playgrounds and reserves. Some of the walk is on dirt tracks.
Duration of the walk: About 1 hour and 35 minutes.
Information about the Suburb: Hawker was established in 1972 and named after Charles Hawker (1894–1938), Member of the House of Representatives from 1929–1938 and Federal minister in 1932. Its streets are named according to the theme of Northern Territory pastoral stations.
To get to the start of the walk proceed north along Coulter Dr. Turn L into Springvale Dr and follow it around then L into Hawker Pl then R into Hawker Pl and park in front of the shops.
Note that streets in brackets means there is no street sign at this point of the walk.
- Go out to Hawker Pl and turn L, then R into Springvale Dr.
- Go R onto Coniston St, then L into Limbunya St.
- Go R onto Bonrook St then take a concrete path up to your L.
- Cross over (Murranji St) and continue straight ahead on a concrete path as it winds uphill. IGNORE any paths to your L and R.
- Go R onto Woolner Cct then L into Erlunda Cct passing a bus stop and seat.
- Pass Woolner Cct on your L into a park. Proceed around the park clockwise.
- Go R on a concrete path as it proceeds through the park passing a playground on your L. Just past the playground go L on a dirt track out of the park to (Ambalindum St).
- Proceed uphill on (Ambalindum St) then L into Marrakai St.
- Go L on a concrete path between houses, then R and walk along behind houses on your R and a gully/storm water drain on your L.
- Go R at the end of the houses and then further on, go R down a concrete path stepping over a low wooden barrier.
- Go L onto (Marrakai St) then L into Ambalindum St.
- Just before Goodparla St go L up a concrete path. Go R at the end of the path and follow a dirt track behind houses on your R.
- Go R onto (Dungowan St). Note a beer keg letterbox.
- Go L onto Mataranka St, then L into Elsey St.
- Go L on a concrete path between houses. Then R on a dirt track behind houses on your R. Follow the dirt track along and around to your R with houses on your R.
- Go R down a concrete path between houses then R into (Mainoru Pl) and then L down (Mainoru Pl).
- Go R on a concrete path into a park and follow it past a playground on your R.
- Go R at a junction taking the path out to (Mataranka St).
- Go L then R into (Erldunda Cct).
- Pass Tobermorey Pl on your L, a bus stop and seat, and Anningie Pl also on your L.
- Pass Dungowan St on your R.
- At Hawker Primary School go L down a concrete path and follow it all the way down passing a playground on your L and going through the (Murranji St) underpass.
- Follow a concrete path as it continues past playing fields on your R and tennis courts on your L.
- Cross over (Delamere St) and continue straight ahead.
- Go R onto (Belconnen Way) and proceed behind (Hawker Enclosed Oval).
- Go R on a concrete path through Urban Open Space behind houses on your L.
- Cross over (Walhallow St) and continue straight ahead with a playing field on your R.
- When a concrete path goes R at the end of the playing field, continue straight ahead on a dirt track to pick up a concrete path.
- Go L on a concrete path and follow it along and then around with tennis courts on your L.
- Go R onto (Walhallow St).
- Proceed past Hawker Tennis Centre with bowling greens on your R.
- Go L onto Beetaloo St.
- Pass Coniston St on your R.
- Go R onto Hawker Pl.
- Follow it all the way along then turn L into Hawker Pl and back to the Shops.