Walk Features: This loop walk takes you from a school car park along streets, around grasslands, through Mullion Park, around wetlands and through Gungaderra Gardens.
Duration of the walk: About 1 hour and 45 minutes. CHECK
Information about the Suburb: Harrison was named after the former city planner Peter Harrison, who was instrumental in reviving Walter Burley Griffin’s plan for the National Capital.
Click here for a pdf version of the walk directions.
To get to the start of the walk proceed north along Gungahlin Dr. Turn R into Well Station Dr, L at Flemington Rd, R Nullabor Av, L Wimmera St and park in the car park at the Harrison School on your R.
Note that streets in brackets means there is no street sign at this point of the walk.
- Proceed out to (Wimmera St) and go L.
- Pass Topra St on your R.
- Cross over Nullabor Av.
- Go L onto Karamu St.
- Cross over Pinnacles St and continue straight ahead on a concrete path then up a grassy slope.
- Go R on a bitumen path.
- Pass a playground over to your R as well as a picnic table, barbewcue and exercise station.
- Pass Ningaloo St on your L.
- Just past an exercise station on your R, go L on a dirt track,
- Proceed on the dirt track alongside (Ormiston Cct) on your R.
- Pass Butterfish St, Ormiston Cct and Villaret St on your R.
- Continue straight ahead on the dirt track alongside (Albatross Cr) on your R.
- Pass Koonalda St and Alanvale St on your R.
- Continue straight ahead on the dirt track alongside Thunder St passing Steep St on your R. Note the large street number 16 and letter box on your R.
- Go L on a wide concrete path.
- Pass an unnamed gravel road and then a seat on your L.
- Pass Adder St and a bus stop on your L.
- Go R onto Cape York St.
- Pass Carpentaria St on your R.
- Go L onto Tanam St.
- Pass Burbie Pl on your R.
- Go L onto Phantom St.
- Go sharp R on a concrete path and follow it through Mullion Park. Note the poems by David Campbell.
- Pass a seat and a plaque.
- Proceed through wooden arches and continue straight ahead.
- Cross over (Cultivation St) and across grass to again pick up a concrete path that continues to wind through the park.
- Pass barbecue and picnic tables.
- Pass a playground on your R.
- Go R onto (Katoomba St).
- Pass Tanam St on your R and continue around the wetlands on your L.
- Pass Putt Lane on your R and keep following Katoomba St.
- Pass Cultivation St on your R.
- Cross over Mapleton Av and continue straight ahead on a bitumen path alongside Megalong Av on your R.
- Pass Wombeyan St on your R.
- Pass Whim St on your R.
- Take the R fork on a concrete path up to (Horse Park Dr).
- Go L across a bridge.
- Pass a bus stop then go L on a concrete path.
- Go L on a bitumen path alongside (Brumby St) over to your R.
- Proceed R over the grass when the junction of (Brumby St) and (Saltbush St) comes into view.
- Go R up Saltbush St.
- Pass Anchorage St on your R.
- Pass Danjera Lane on your L.
- Go L onto Cedar St.
- Cross over Glow Worm Grove to proceed on a concrete path over to a playground.
- Go first L on the concrete path away from the playground.
- Cross over Cedar St then proceed alongside Moonlight Av on your R.
- Go L onto Haven St.
- Cross over Danjera Lane.
- Pass Pildappa St on your L.
- Go R onto Sapling St.
- Go L into the Gungaderra Gardens.
- Proceed straight ahead on a dirt track passing the gardens and a windmill on your R.
- Pass a playground over to your L and continue straight ahead down (Otway St).
- Go R onto Mapleton Av.
- Pass Sapling St on your R.
- Pass Otway St on your R.
- Pass Mother Teresa School on your L.
- Go L onto Wimmera St.
- Pass Collaroy St on your R.
- Go R on a bitumen path with a pond on your R.
- Go L on a concrete path out to (Wimmera St).
- Go R onto (Wimmera St) and back to the Harrison School car park entrance.