Walk Features: This loop walk takes you from the Shops all the way around Lake Tuggeranong. On the way you will pass playgrounds, totem poles, and cross over the dam wall. A second optional walk takes you through Tuggeranong Town Park down the ‘Footsteps to Follow’ monument, by the Canberra and Districts National Servicemen’s Memorial and past a beach.
Duration of the walk: About 1 hour and 20 minutes. Option B which takes about 30 minutes can be added on to the main walk or seen as a separate walk.
To get to the start of the walk proceed south down the Tuggeranong Parkway. Go R onto Athlon Drive then L onto Anketell St, L on Cowlishaw St and park in the McDonalds car park on your L.
Note that streets in brackets means there is no street sign at this point of the walk.
- Proceed out from the car park towards the lake going through an arch and down steps.
- Go R on a brick path and then a bitumen path to proceed around Lake Tuggeranong on your L.
- Proceed under the bridge.
- Go L on a bitumen path.
- Go L across a bridge and continue straight ahead on a bitumen path.
- Veer L on a bitumen path at a sign to the Town Centre.
- Veer L on a concrete path.
- Proceed on a brick path under a bridge.
- Continue on a bitumen path.
- Cross a floodway.
- Pass totem poles and picnic tables on your L.
- Pass the Learn to Ride Park on your R.
- Pass picnic tables and a playground on your L.
- Pass the Scout Hall and public toilets on your L.
- Pass barbecue and picnic tables on your L.
- Pass a basketball practice court on your R.
- Go L across an iron railing bridge.
- Go L on bitumen path.
- Pass the (Athlon Dr) underpass on your R and continue on a bitumen path.
- Pass a playground on your R.
- Cross over the end of the lake with (Athlon Dr) up on your R.
- At the end of the bridge veer L on the bitumen path.
- Pass a skate park on your L.
- Pass yellow gates on your R.
ADD ON OPTION B (BELOW) FROM HERE
- Pass public toilets on your R.
- Pass a playground on your L.
- Proceed onto a brick path.
- When a bitumen path comes into view, go sharp R up steps, through an arch and back to the car park.
- At the yellow gates just before the public toilets, proceed up (Bartlet Pl).
- Cross over Anketell St.
- Proceed up Drew St.
- Go R on Eileen Good St.
- Go L on a concrete path to pass a playground on your R.
- Go L on (Eileen Good St).
- Pass (Ruth Alsop Ln) on your R.
- Go L on (Cowlishaw St).
- Pass Holwell St on your R.
- Cross Eileen Good St and go L.
- Go R on Drew St.
- Cross Anketell St and go R on a concrete path alongside (Tuggeranong Town Park) on your L.
- At the corner of Anketell St and Cowlishaw St, go L into the Tuggeranong Town Park through the ‘Footsteps to Follow’ sandstone walls monument.
- Proceed down steps noting and across the grass.
- Note the Canberra and Districts National Servicemen’s Memorial ahead (see below).
- Go R on a bitumen path.
- At an exercise station go L on a bitumen path with the lake on your R.
- Proceed along the top of the Tuggeranong Town Park Beach.
- Go L on a concrete path.
- Pass picnic tables and barbecues on your L.
- Proceed out to the car park and go L along (Bartlet Pl) back to the yellow gates and public toilets.