Walk Features: This loop walk takes you from the Shops through the streets, reserves and playgrounds. Some of the walk is on dirt tracks. Note the Tree of Knowledge sculpture at the start of the walk.
Duration of the walk: About 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Region: Woden Valley.
Information about the Suburb: Garran was established in 1966 and named after Robert Garran, first Solicitor-General and headed Attorney-General’s Dept, involved in Federation and the Constitution, helped establish Canberra University College and the ANU. Its streets are named after Australian writers and members of the Garran family.
To get to the start of the walk proceed east along Hindmarsh Drive, turn L into Palmer St, R into Gilmore St, and then L into Garran Place and park at the Shops.
Note that streets in brackets means there is no street sign at this point of the walk.
- Facing away from the Shops go up steps past a sculpture on your L to (Gilmore St).
- Go L on a concrete path alongside Gilmore St passing bus shelter.
- Pass Robson St on your L.
- Go R onto Brereton St.
- Pass Furphy Pl on your L.
- Go R onto Henderson St.
- At Lavater Pl proceed diagonally across the park passing a playground on the way.
- Go R onto (Curlewis Cr).
- Pass Harpur St on your R.
- Go L onto Richardson St.
- Pass Flanagan St on L and Rusden St on your R.
- Go through a gate and turn sharp L onto Garran Fire Trail
- Proceed uphill with a gully/storm water drain and houses on your L. Soon you will be able to see Woden and Canberra Hospital over to your L.
- After quite a while when the trail goes R you will come across a fork. IGNORE the trail going steeply uphill to your R and proceed straight ahead. The trail will narrow to a dirt track before later opening back out to fire trail.
- Keep going on the trail ignoring a grassy area to your L.
- Follow the track past a large house surrounded by a security fence to a dirt road.
- Go L on a dirt track and proceed down and through a gate onto (Brereton St).
- Follow (Brereton St) all the way down to Gilmore Cr passing Couvreur St (twice), Curlewis Cr and Ham Pl all on your L, Ogilvie Pl on your R and Henderson St on your L.
- Go R onto Gilmore Cr and pass a bus stop and seat.
- Go R onto Ingamells St.
- Follow Ingamells St all the way round back to Gilmore Cr.
- Go R onto Gilmore Cr and past a bus stop and seat.
- Go R onto Kitchener St,
- Just after number 98 go L on a dirt track.
- Follow the dirt track as it goes around to your L behind houses on your L. Note Canberra Hospital ahead.
- Keep following the dirt track until you come to a concrete path.
- Go L then L again on a concrete path.
- Go L onto (Fitchett St) and pass Foot St on your R and Maurice Pl on your L.
- Cross over (Kitchener St) and proceed into and through a car park with an oval on your R and a school on your L.
- Pick up a concrete path going straight ahead.
- Follow a concrete path past an exercise station on your R and behind Garran Primary School on your L.
- Go L where a concrete path forks.
- Proceed uphill on a concrete path back to the Shops.