Walk Features: This loop walk takes you from the Shops past wetlands, around Franklin Pond, through the streets and playgrounds, and around Gubur Dhaura Heritage Site.
Duration of the walk: About 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Information about the Suburb: Franklin was established in 2007 and named after novelist Miles Franklin. Its streets are named after writers.
To get to the start of the walk proceed north along Gungahlin Dr. Turn R into Well Station Dr, L at Hoskins St, R Oodgeroo Av, R Nullabor Av, L Waraker St and park in the car park at the Shops on your R.
Note that streets in brackets means there is no street sign at this point of the walk.
- Cross over (Waraker St) and go R on a concrete path around the pond.
- Go R on a bitumen path.
- Go L on a bitumen path over a low bridge.
- Go L on a bitumen path alongside wetlands on your L.
- Cross over a low bridge.
- Go R on a concrete path between ponds.
- As soon as you leave the ponds cross over (Oodgeroo Av) and go R.
- Pass Jocelyn Brown St on your R.
- Cross over Marie Pitt St.
- Go L onto Patchett St.
- Cross over Idriess Lane.
- Go R onto Whitington St.
- Pass Idriess Lane on your R.
- Go L onto Manning Clark Cr.
- Go R onto Eve Langley St.
- Go R on a gravel path into Gubur Dhaura.
- Go L on a gravel path.
- Proceed down and up steps and continue straight ahead on the gravel path.
- Follow the path all the way around the outside of Gubur Dhaura.
- When a small concrete information marker comes into view over to your R, take the next path up to it.
- Then come back down and along the ridge to another small concrete information marker.
- Continue straight ahead on a gravel path.
- Pass an iron sculpture on your L and then further on another such sculpture also on your L.
- Go R on a gravel path downhill passing between steps.
- Go L onto Walling St.
- Pass Eve Langley St on your L.
- Cross over Manning Clark Cr and proceed down Marie Pitt St.
- Pass Amiet St on your L.
- Cross over Marie Pitt St and proceed down Bayonas Pl which has No Through Road signs at its beginning.
- Go L on a concrete path passing seat on your L.
- Pass a playground on your R.
- Go L onto Oodgeroo Av and then immediately cross over it.
- Go L on a concrete path.
- Go R on a concrete path and follow it around to your R between ponds.
- Go R on a bitumen path and cross over Nullabor Av.
- Go L on a concrete path over a low bridge.
- Go R on a bitumen path and continue straight ahead with (Christina Stead Pond) on your L.
- Proceed over an iron railing bridge.
- Go L on a bitumen path.
- Pass a playground on your L and continue on around to the L.
- Go R on a bitumen path at a basketball court.
- Continue straight ahead with wetlands on your L.
- Pass a bridge on your L.
- Pass Morris West St on your R.
- Cross over Nullabor Av and continue straight ahead.
- Cross over an iron railing bridge.
- Go R on a concrete path and follow it around and back to the Shops.