Walk Features: This loop walk takes you from the Shops through parkland, streets, playgrounds and reserves. Some of the walk is on dirt tracks and fire trails.
Duration of the walk: About 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Region: Woden Valley.
Information about the Suburb: Chifley was established in 1966 and named after Joseph Benedict Chifley, Prime Minister of Australia from July 1945 to December 1949. Its streets are named for scientists and educationalists.
To get to the start of the walk proceed south down Melrose Drive. Turn R into Eggleston Cr. Follow it all the way round to Chifley Pl and the Shops on the R. Park next to the Shops.
Note that streets in brackets means there is no street sign at this point of the walk.
- Facing away from the corner of the Shops proceed straight out on a concrete path passing picnic tables and a barbecue on your R.
- Go L on a concrete path that goes past a playground and then a basketball court on your L.
- Go through the (Plunkett St) underpass.
- As the (Hindmarsh Dr) underpass comes into view go L on the first concrete path.
- Continue straight ahead into (Renwick St).
- Go R onto Plunkett St.
- Go L onto Eggleston Cr.
- Pass Carslaw St on your R and a bus shelter.
- Go R onto McDonald St.
- Go L onto Salmond St.
- Go R onto Riley Pl.
- Veer L on a dirt track around to a bitumen path.
- Continue straight ahead for quite a way on a bitumen path gently uphill under power lines.
- Cross over Waldock St and continue straight ahead on a bitumen path.
- Go L on a gravel road that runs behind houses on your L. See Mt Taylor ahead.
- Cross over a grid of wooden poles beside a gate and continue straight ahead uphill on the Chifley Houses FT (fire trail).
- Near the top of the hill at the end of the houses, go L on the Chifley Houses FT as indicated by the sign.
- At the end of the houses go L on a narrow dirt track and proceed through a bush reserve with houses on your L.
- Cross over (Macfarland St) and continue straight ahead through parkland near houses on your L.
- Keep following beside the houses on your L downhill and then around to the L until a bitumen path comes into view.
- Go R on the bitumen path downhill.
- Continue straight ahead onto a wide concrete path.
- The concrete path sweeps L under power lines and continues straight ahead back under the power lines.
- Go L on a concrete path.
- Proceed down (Allwood St) past number 21 on your R.
- Go R onto Charteris Cr. Note a playground straight ahead.
- Pass Medley St on your R twice.
- Pass (Maclaurin Cr on your R.
- Go R onto Eggleston Cr.
- Go L onto Maclaurin Cr.
- Pass (Thomson St) on your L.
- Go R onto Anderson St.
- Go R on a concrete path between numbers 13 and 15.
- Go L on a concrete path.
- Proceed through the (Plunkett St) underpass.
- Go immediately R up a concrete path alongside (Plunkett St).
- Pass Childe Pl on your L.
- Go L onto Shann Pl.
- Proceed across the playing field back to the Shops.