Walk Features: This loop walk takes you from the Shops along the streets and through Haig Park, Gilchrist Gardens and past the Ainslie Arts Centre.
Duration of the walk: About 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Region: North Canberra.
Information about the Suburb: Braddon was established in 1922 and named after Sir Edward Braddon, a Federalist, legislator and a participant in the writing of the Australian Constitution. Its streets are named for Aboriginal words, legislators and pioneers.
Click here for a pdf version of the walk directions.
To get to the start of the walk proceed up Northbourne Ave, turn R into Ipima St, then L into Lowana St and park near the Shops (number 94) opposite the park.
Note that streets in brackets means there is no street sign at this point of the walk.
- Proceed on a concrete path over the park.
- Pass seats and a playground on your L.
- Go R on a concrete path running alongside (Ijong St) on your L.
- Cross over Ipima St and continue straight ahead.
- Cross over Henty St.
- Veer R on a dirt track passing a red gate into (Haig Park).
- Just past a fence turn R onto a dirt track and follow it along with a fence on your R.
- Go L on a concrete path.
- Go L at public toilets on a short concrete path to proceed through the park alongside (Girrahween St) over on your R.
- Cross over a concrete path and continue straight ahead.
- Cross over (Torrens St) and go R.
- Cross over Girrahween St.
- Cross over Elouera St then go L.
- Pass Fawkner St and Elder St on your L.
- Go R onto Donaldson St passing an oval on your R.
- Go L into Currong St North.
- Go L on a concrete path that runs between numbers 60 and 58.
- Cross over a bitumen path.
- Just inside the park go R to circumnavigate the whole park within its boundary crossing over (Doonkuna St) which dissects the park.
- Leave the park by going R onto Doonkuna St.
- Cross over Donaldson St.
- Proceed alongside Elouera St past Ainslie Arts Centre on your R.
- Go R onto Elder St.
- Go R onto a playing field.
- Proceed anticlockwise around within the edge of the playing field.
- Back at the entrance to the playing field, go R on (Elder St).
- Go L on a concrete path to pass Braddon Tennis Club on your L.
- Cross over (Farrer St) and continue straight ahead on a concrete path.
- Cross over (Girrahween St) into Haig Park.
- Go R to follow the line of trees with (Girrahween St) on your R.
- Pass a small car park.
- Go L at Limestone Ave.
- Go L at Henty St.
- Pass a small car park.
- Go R at Wise St.
- Pass Merici College on your R and Helemon St on your L.
- Go L onto Ipima St.
- Go R onto Torrens St.
- Go R onto Ijong St.
- Go L onto Lowanna St.
- Pass Burra Pl on your L.
- Go L onto Dooring St.
- Proceed out from the end of Dooring St on a concrete path.
- Go R onto (Coolac Pl).
- Go L onto Lowanna St and proceed back to the start.