Walk Features: This loop walk takes you from the Shops through the hilly tree-lined streets, parks, playgrounds and bushland.
Duration of the walk: About 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Information about the Suburb: Aranda was established in 1967 and was the first suburb in the Belconnen area. During the planning and development of the suburb, a large proportion of large native trees – predominantly eucalypts – were left in place. It derives its name from the Arrernte tribe of Central Australia, previously known as Arunta, which means ‘White Cockatoo’. Its streets are named after Aboriginal tribal groups from around Australia.
Click here for a pdf version of the walk directions.
To get to the start of the walk proceed along Bindubi St turn into Bandjalong Cr. Meet in the car park behind the Aranda Shops on your R.
Note that streets in brackets means there is no street sign at this point of the walk.
- Facing away from the Shops go R on a concrete path.
- Go R on a concrete path through the Bandjalong Cr underpass and continue straight ahead down to playing fields.
- Go L on a concrete path (or proceed on the dirt track through the avenue of trees) and follow it to the end of the playing fields.
- At the baseball nets go R and around the perimeter of the playing fields.
- Cross over a bitumen path on the way.
- Pass to the L of the playground and continue straight ahead up (Banambila St) passing Kubura Pl on your L.
- Go L onto Arabana St.
- Go R onto Bambila St.
- Go L onto Nungara St.
- Pass Nungara Pl on your L and Gidabal St on your R.
- Go R onto Bandjalong Cr.
- Go L on a concrete path at a bus stop and up through a playground.
- Go L onto Jalanga Cr.
- Pass Marulda St on your R.
- Go L onto Walu St.
- Go R onto Jagara St.
- Just before Janari Pl go L on a concrete path and past a playground and picnic table on your R.
- Go R onto (Wangara St).
- Go L onto Noala St.
- As (Noala St) goes around to the L, continue straight ahead up a dirt track to a fire trail.
- Go R onto the fire trail.
- Cross over (Wangara St) and proceed uphill on a dirt track behind houses on your R.
- When (Araba St) comes into view, go through the fence and turn L uphill to pass the Canberra Nature Park sign.
- Pass Araba Pl on your L and Araba St on your R.
- Go L onto Juwin St.
- Pass Jagara St on your R.
- Proceed out on a concrete path going uphill through bushland.
- Go R a concrete path.
- When (Walu St) comes into view go L on a concrete path and follow it around to the R and down to (Walu St).
- Go L onto (Walu St).
- Go L onto Barada Cr.
- Go R onto Gundara St.
- Go R a concrete path through a playground on your L.
- Go R onto (Barada Cr).
- Pass Marawa Pl on your L.
- Go L onto Janga Pl.
- Proceed straight out and across bush to a concrete path.
- Go L on a concrete path.
- Continue straight ahead all the way downhill on a concrete path.
- Before the underpass go R on a concrete path and back to the Shops.